Wednesday, October 12, 2011

RAKIM~Maceo Parker, Pee Wee Ellis, Fred Wesley~Christian McBride~Pharoahe Monch~etc

 O~~~~~~~~~~~~~LD SCHOOL, RAKIM!RAKIM RAKIM!
OH OH OH, I was so excited when I was invited to RAKIM show in Boston! That legendary RAKIM from Rakim and Eric B! 
Eric B. & Rakim were a hip-hop duo composed of DJ Eric Barrier and MC Rakim.Hailing from Long Island, New York, the pair are generally considered by hip hop enthusiasts to be one of the most influential and innovative groups in the genre. During hip hop's "golden age" of the mid-1980s to the early 90s, the duo was almost universally regarded as the premier MC/DJcombo in hip hop. The two had a potent chemistry; the duo's beats built on the hard-hitting sound of Run-D.M.C. by adding James Brown samples and Eric B's scratching, setting the stage for hip hop's late-1980s/early-1990s infatuation with samples from Brown
I actually wasn't sure if I can make it to Boston but somehow made it with taking China bus for 5 hours after my work. Its amazing that only $15 for one way to Boston from NY.
When I got there it was already show started time but luckily it was pushed back and started late. I was there just the right timing! My booking agent friend, Rich Mason (AKA Balewa) took me inside the venue and found out that is a TV shooting for MC battle. The Winner will have the opportunity to have contract with Eminem label and the judges are Rakim, Pharoahe Monch, and Jean Grae, hosted by BUN B. In between the kids battling, they performed and of course Rakim was the MAIN performer! Killing it, Killing it! I always like to see Pharoahe's performance on the stage as he is very passionate and powerful. But Rakim... wow... what can I say...? I was sitting next to Rakim's wife all the time. I didnt know the lady sitting next to me was Rakim's wife...so was joking around all the time but then Rakim came to pick her up after the show, then I was like <ohhhhhhh ahhhhhh.....> speachless. 
I was hanging with Rakim's wife whole night!Then after the show we went to Ra's dress room so many people came to appreciate him. He is a KING! At the hotel they were staying was next to the venue and connected with the elevator. After getting off the elevator, I found Pharoahe Monch and DJ Boogie Blind!I spoke to Pharoahe a bit and he remembered me when and where we met the first time. He is always a nice guy and very cool! No one tells bad things about him!!! 
At hotel lobby, one drunk girl came up to Rakim and was asking for autograph. Then she was asking Rakim's wife, Felicia if she can have a cookie. Felicia was like < it depends on WHAT KINDA COOKIE she wants> then that cracks me up! She said < not my big Chunky chocolate cookie, you can take vanilla or chocolate chip but not MY BIG CHUNKY CHOCOLATE ONE!!!> that was FUNNY!
Rakim was laughing and said < y'all girls are crazy~~~!> 

We all got together in Rakim's hotel room again and talked whole night about music, life, record covers that influenced us the most... Actually Rakim's most influential LP cover was GEORGE CLINTON and P-FUNK! When I heard about it, I was like YES, YES here my GOD's name again!!! FUNK FUNK!
He was talking about Central park's concert for Summer Stage, his new projects and of course Shoes... 
All and all we had a great fun time together and I am so glad that I was at that moment there with them talking music stuff more and more with legends. Thank you so much for inviting and letting me be there! 
<Actually a few days ago Rakim's beautiful wife texted me and told me that she had a such a fun great night in Boston and lets keep in touch! You know what this means to me??? WOOOW...!!!>

I ran into Rakim another day soon after---> 

The next day, after having brunch in Boston, took a china bus again and headed back to NY for MACEO PARKER, PEE WEE ELLIS, and FRED WESLEY show at Town Hall on Oct 06 2011.
The bus got delayed again and took me 5 hours to get back, I was worried if I could make it on time for the show. But somehow I made it! 
My seat was very first law in the center and right in front of Fred Wesley! His Trombone was right in front of my face! I was joking that I dont want to get his spit on my face but that was almost like that closed to his Trombone! And Maceo Parker! Of course, of course..This day was Pee Wee's 70th Birthday. 
Maceo Parker is an American funk and soul jazzsaxophonist, best known for his work with James Brown in the 1960s, as well as Parliament-Funkadelic in the 1970s. Parker was a prominent soloist on many of Brown's hit recordings, and a key part of his band, playing altotenor and baritone saxophones. He is now just as well known for his own shows, as he has toured continuously under his own name since the early 1990s and has built up a strong fan base. --->http://www.maceo.com/
Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis is an American saxophonistcomposer andarranger. He was an important member of James Brown's band in the 1960s and appeared on many of Brown's most notable recordings. He also worked closely with Van MorrisonIn later years, he became a resident of England, living in the town of Frome in the county ofSomerset.--->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_%22Pee_Wee%22_Ellis
Fred Wesley is an American jazz and funk trombonist, best known for his work with James Brown in the 1960s and 1970s. He left Brown's band in 1975 and spent several years playing with George Clinton's various Parliament-Funkadelic projects, even recording a couple of albums as the leader of a spin-off group, The Horny Horns.Also played and recorded with so many artists like Ray CharlesLionel HamptonRandy CrawfordVanessa WilliamsThe SOS BandCameoVan MorrisonSocalled and rappers De La Soul, singer Mary J. Blige, D'Angelo and more--->http://www.funkyfredwesley.com/
All these legends were dancing, blowing their horns, and singing up!!! In the band, Christian McBride was on bass. He looked so happy to play with those legends. To be honest, it was not like P-Funk's Funk vibe, more likely Jazz Funk vibe but still amazing funk is funk! People got crazy screaming, and dancing with them!
 Christian McBride is an American jazzbassist. His father, Lee Smith, and his great uncle, Howard Cooper, are well known Philadelphia bassists who served as McBride's early mentors. He is regarded as a virtuoso, and is one of the most recorded musicians of his generation, having appeared on close to 300 recordings as a sideman before the age of 40 likeFreddie HubbardJoe HendersonMcCoy TynerHerbie HancockPat MethenyDiana Krall,Roy HaynesChick CoreaJohn McLaughlinWynton MarsalisHank JonesJoshua Redman, and Ray Brown's "Superbass" with John Clayton, as well as with hip-hop, pop, soul, and classical musicians like The RootsKathleen BattleCarly SimonStingBruce Hornsby, and James Brown. --->http://www.christianmcbride.com/
After the show we met all the legends including Christian. Always always nice to see those legends and their family, friends. Beautiful moment. meeting up new people also re-connect with old friends.



Christian McBride, I met him some years ago through Roy Haynes at Blue Note. That was Roy Haynes's birthday gig, with special guests my dear ROY HARGROVE and CHRISTIAN McBRIDE! Amazing show always. Roy Haynes's son and my friend Craig Holiday Haynes invited me 2 nights actually. Very special nights and had great time. Since then I have met Christian time to time, most of time he was playing with Roy Haynes. Roy Owen Haynes is an American jazz drummer and bandleader. Haynes is among the most recorded drummers in jazz, and in a career lasting more than 60 years has played in a wide range of styles ranging from swing and bebop to jazz fusion and avant-garde jazz. He has a highly expressive, personal style ("Snap Crackle" was a nickname given him in the 1950s) and is known to foster a deep engagement in his bandmates
This time was with Funk Legends and he was so excited and even after the show he was still excited!
Fred Wesley was trying to sell his CD after the show at the entrance and gathered by his beautiful people. I wanted to talk more about LA connection and his Funk but I got shy all of sudden...(well I am a shy person normally...) 
On Saturday Oct 8th, BedStuy in Brooklyn was special. 1;30~ MosDef and Brooklyn Philharmonic, 4;30~ Pharoahe Monch and DJ Boogie Blind and hosted by Raye 6 whole day!I couldnt make it to come see MosDef tho, I wanted to see Talib Kweli show that supposed to be the main and the last for this event.
Pharoahe came out to the stage but the sound was so bad and one of his back singer became a star more than Pharoahe, so I was in back all the time. But still his performance was killing! After the show He was trying to avoid all the crowds but found me in back stage then gave me big hug and kiss on cheek with his sweaty face!!! That is very special and very nice him to do!!! I like him more now and want to support him now! See this is RESPECT and I feel very special! I love that feeling! DJ Boogie Blind also it was really nice seeing them after meeting in Boston!!! Always always nice!!!
Talib canceled the last minute for production issue. I think its about money... (they said contract issue) He was in his lab all day actually and very Sad that I couldnt see him but all good. I could see so many of my friends and exchanged love on this day like Mecca, Shino, Dashaun, Big Jeff, Supreme and his girl Keri, Producer-Studdah, photographer-Raheem, Mikel Banks and his friends, Raye 6, Danny Castro, and more and more! Wow that was very hot shine day and I was really sweaty... such a beautiful day in BedStuy Brooklyn! 

⭐️⭐️⭐️Please check on my YouTube Channel also and subscribe to it if you liked. I do highly appreciate you much!⭐️⭐️⭐️ → https://m.youtube.com/user/Dangerica7/?sub_confirmation=1

No comments:

Post a Comment