Tuesday, November 8, 2011

ABSOLUTE FUNK: Honoring GEORGE CLINTON with Ray Chew Live at Apollo Theater

There We go!Here We GO!!!I still feel like it was like a dream night on Tuesday, October 25@Apollo Theater.
Dr. Funkenstein, founder of Parliament/Funkadelic and ringmaster of the funkiest music-making circus on the planet-George Clinton Tribute night by All-Stars- Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, Sheila E., Nona Hendryx, Hezekiah Walker, Paul Shaffer, DJ Kool Herc, Doug E. Fresh, Ray Chew, Vernon Reid, Full Force, Questlove, TM Stevens, Dallas Austin, Richard Smallwood, Valerie Boyd, Marley Marl, Fab 5 Freddy, Tye Tribbert, Joel Ortiz and more!
When I got there, already the venue was full of FUNKATEERS and MR. George Clinton was sitting on the balcony seat with his family already looking down who were coming there! When I found him from my Orchestra seats, GEORGE FOUND ME TOO!!! AND WAVED HIS BIG HANDS TO ME FROM BALCONY!!!!!!!!!!! OH I Love George!!! 
The show started with Tye Tribbert then Full Force came out. Good start, good start. Our Funk blood started excited... then Shiela E! WOW... She is the only and only Shiela... WOW! She killed it!
Meanwhile Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell came to see George Clinton at the balcony, I saw the moment when they hugged and BIG SMILE on All of them! Doctor Cornel West came to the balcony too. I saw that moment, I saw it! All were hugging and really happy together, thats the moment! I heard George got tears to see them at that time...wow. LOVE!
Paul Shaffer from Late Night with David Letterman, he funked the vibe so as NONA HENDRYX- <Who got her start recording with Patti LaBelle before releasing a solo album. She has worked with such diverse collaborators as the Talking Heads, Bill Laswell, and Bootsy Collins, among others.>
Some of The P-FUNK all stars memebers were there on the stage with RAY CHEW band. Ray Chew and his wife VIVIAN SCOTT CHEW, thank you so much for this wonderful moment.
Vivian was the one who gave him his last major deal on Sony with T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M in '96 and landed the Mothership in Central Park with Bootsy Collins! Again VIVIAN, Thank you so much for this beautiful night and RAY CHEW!GREAT WORK!
Ray Chew is a World renowned musician, composer  and producer  Ray Chew is Musical Director  for  3 network television series – NBC’s The Singing Bee, Showtime At the Apollo and BET’s Sunday Best. He is
also responsible for  the music in Donald Trump’s Miss USA, Miss Universe and Miss Teen USA pageants. Ray’s most recent turn at musical director  for  BET’s ground breaking event – The BET Honors – features a piano duet with Stevie Wonder, in addition to signature performances by Gladys Knight, Brian McKnight and Jill Scott and John Legend.Ray Chew has been at the helm of award winning musical events – live and televised – performing with countless legendary artists such as Barry Manilow, Sting, James Taylor, the 4-Tops, Dionne Warwick, Elvis Costello, Smokey Robinson, Pastor Shirley Caesar, Kirk Franklin, Mary J. Blige, Aretha Franklin and Quincy Jones. Ray’s other recent televised performances as Musical Director of the 2007 BET Awards and the 7th Annual BET Celebration of Gospel resulted in critical acclaim throughout the artist community and an NAACP Image Award.

In the Band, I saw Alyson Williams and Kalli Sae in the backing vocal section! I was with my dearest Bro, Thomas Dyani the fantastic percussionist who is from Incognito-London (he was visiting NY after SHAKIRA WORLD TOUR) , Kelli Sae used to be a singer for Incognito. We were actually talking about her just before we got there. So weird moment to see her on the stage, we really didnt expect seeing her there! 
Alyson is Lafayette Harris's friend and we were on the same stage at Zinc bar the other day!
Questlove came out to hit the drum with PFunk and others, 
My PFUNK FAMILY--- P-Nut, Garrett Shider, Kendra, Paul Hill, Michael Hampton, Michael Clip Payne, TM STEVENS (We always talk in Japanese in front of everyone and love to surprise people! We did it this time again!!!hahaha) Frankie Kash, Boogie, and more. I LOVE YOU GUYS and THANK YOU FOR TREATING ME AS A FAMILY always! Also my Funkateers family, like Ed, Carter, and more... thank you always!
When Bootsy and Bernnie came out on the stage, started singing <TOUCH> and as usual Bootsy came down to the audience seats... people got in FIRE! Funny and great TM STEVENS was playing BASS for Bootsy as Bootsy's STAR bass didnt work somehow.. 
Sorry for my dear friend, Alan - Sound Engineer for Bootsy, I could see he was so stressed out coz the bass didnt work and actually Bootsy did the show without his FUNK STAR BASS!
(Alan told me that 10 min before the show, it was fine but somehow all of sudden didnt work once the show started...local production's fault...!Ahhhh... Bootsy's Bass...)
George Clinton couldnt stand sitting in the balcony seats any more...ran came down to the stage and sang for Bootsy! It was Great seeing them together! 
And more, that day was BOOTSY's 60th Birthday!
We celebrated his Birthday with George Clinton and all other stars! That was beautiful~~~~~~~!!!
At the end of the show, everyone came out to the stage and that was a big time historical moment!That was WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
I met DJ/Producer Marley Marl in the audience, its always nice seeing him and his girlfriend, also I heard Jay-Z and Oprah Winfrey were in the audience too.  
D'Angelo was invited to come to the show by George but I heard he became a chicken and told him < Do your thing, I do my thing...> hmmm. sad... I wanted to see him there too!
DJ Kool Herc and more came out to the stage, after the show I greeted some of my people and went to after party that was at TIME HOTEL.
Actually At After party we saw LADY GAGA came thru. Here is the article about it.
Who knew Lady Gaga was an ace at pool, even in sky-high black boots? The superstar showed off her skills to funk legend George ClintonBootsy Collins and Paul Shaffer at Inc Lounge at the Time Hotel on Wednesday night.
A spy told us that Gaga, who had been at George’s tribute at the Apollo Theater, “slipped into the lounge with a small entourage, wearing a black hood which covered most of her head. She had extremely high-heeled black boots.”
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/lady_at_the_table_2xsNcOUxsUJawQT5L9r8eM#ixzz1d8TJHb7h  (Thank you Ken Simmons to let me know! Vivian appreciate it too!)
I missed seeing George Clinton as we got there a bit late and he was already left and in bed. 
Damnnnnn! I wanted to see him really badly on this special day! But its ok... he knows that I was there...
I could see Ray Chew, my PFunk family, Nona Hendryx, Ken Simmons, Alan, Carter, and some of my new friends, and BOOTSY Came out!
His wife never remember me but BOOTSY remembered me well and I could tell him HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thats all great! My Day was amazing. This moment... wow... !
Again thank you Ray and Vivian, and the musicians for this special night. I will never forget this special FUNK night!I LOVE FUNK!

No comments:

Post a Comment