Monday, November 14, 2011

Zulu Nation 38th Anniversary ~SUTRA 7th Anniversary~

ZU~LU~Nation~~~!
It was Universal Zulu Nation 38th Anniversary from Sep 9th-13th in NYC. O~~~LD SCHOO~~~L! I joined only Friday event tho, it was the best night to hang out.
I went there with my girl, Mineko. And Jarobi from A Tribe Called Quest invited us to this very special night... Thank you so much! And We really did have a great time!
It was at Yotel. when we got there not so many people were there yet, but once Qtip showed up, next to next people came out... It was so nice to see so many old school rappers, DJs together for this special night.  
my foreva Idle...Q Tip from A Tribe Called Quest, blesses New York City with a Dj Set at The 38th Annual Zulu Nation Celebration on November 11, 2011 @ The Yotel in NYC. 
Guests included Afrika Bambaataa, Kool Keith, D Nice, GrandMaster Dee, Lava 182, Jarobi Wright, Marc Live and Talib Kweli to Jazzy Jay with performances by Keith Murray, Dres (of Black Sheep), Rakaa (of Dilated People), Jarobi, Artifactz, Black Un, Mickey Factz, and Venomous, I also met Melle Mel, Kangol Kid, Sadat X, Grand Puba, from Brand Nubian, JDL from Cold Crush Brothers, and more and of course sent my big love to them! I love you guys always!!!And thank you very much for being great friends!
Personally, I enjoyed the most of Talib Kweli and Keith Murray show with Jazzy Jay. Jazzy Jay is always funny to me... he speaks a bit of Japanese lol 
Probably young people think its just one of the old people's party... but you know what, without them, where is the real HIPHOP was at? http://www.zulunation.com
The Universal Zulu Nation is an international hip hop awareness group formed and headed by hip hop pioneer Afrika Bambaataa.[1]:101 Originally known simply as the Organization, it arose in the 1970s as reformed New York City gang members began to organize cultural events for youths, combining local dance and music movements into what would become known as the various elements of hip hop culture. By the 1980s, hip hop had spread globally, and the Zulu Nation has since established (autonomous) branches in Japan, France, the UK, Australia, South Korea and the Cape Flats in Cape Town South Africaca

The Zulu Nation has undergone changes over the past decade. From the late 1980s, at the height of the Afrocentric movement in hip hop (when artists such as KRS-OnePublic EnemyA Tribe Called Quest, the Native Tongues, and Rakim hit success), the movement seemed to be incorporating many doctrines from the Nation of Islam, the Nation of Gods and Earths, and the Nuwaubians. In the 2000s, however, its official Web site affirmed that the Zulu Nation has left the system of "believing" and instead adheres to Factology versus Beliefs, a philosophy and doctrine that can often be seen in, though is not always exclusive to, Nuwaubianism.
Also don't forget about Native Tongues--->
The Native Tongues is a collective of late 1980s and early 1990s hip-hop artists known for their positive-minded, good-natured Afrocentriclyrics, and for pioneering the use of eclectic sampling and later jazz-influenced beats.[citation needed] Its principal members are the Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, and A Tribe Called Quest. The collective was also closely tied to the Universal Zulu Nation.


It was such a busy night for me as I had 3 party invitations.
I could make it only 2parties tho, I am glad that I could make it to go to Sutra Lounge 7th Anniversary!
As I have done some events over there at Sutra, I am always feeling special to be there. 
As soon as I got there at Sutra, Ariel came out and brought us in, she asked me to do video interview. Too be honest, I was so nervous as it was already 4am and I was so tired...my English was worse than ever and couldnt think what to say. But I wanted to express my feeling and love to Sutra and Sista Ariel.
This special night was with DJ Clark Kent and Tony Touch, of course my neighbor in Brooklyn, Danny Castro and VooDoo Ray.
Big Jeff came after us from Yotel and here we go, our family gathered together. It was so special night and I am really really happy to be there!
Then Then Then, after Sutra we were gonna go for Dinner, in village... someone stopped me on the street...!
It was my great friend, Karl! He just grabbed my arm in the middle of pedestrian crossing, I thought some drunk stranger suddenly did it to me to get my attention! Almost screaming! Glad that was you, Karl! Then after I left him, while I was waiting for the light changed, I ran into my FAV Producer, and my long term friend DEVO SPRINGSTEEN! YEEEEY! I hadnt seen him really long time! 
How long have I known him??? Since I was in Japan, I knew him...Wow... that means over 6years or so???
He is an amazing Grammy winning producer with Jay-Z and Kanye West, John Legend, and more over he did so many beautiful works for Brittney Spears, Deborah Cox and more.
Devo Springsteen, is a Grammy Award winning producer and songwriter. Springsteen launched the career of multi-platinum selling recording artist John Legend by signing him to Kanye West’s GOOD Music in 2003. Springsteen produced and co-wrote “So High”, “Live It Up”, and “Refuge (When it’s Cold Outside)” from Legend’s freshman album Get Lifted. Springsteen has also produced songs forThe Last PoetsOl' Dirty BastardRhymefestEstelleConsequence, and won the Best Rap Song Grammy in 2006 for his production of “Diamonds (from Sierra Leone)” with Kanye West. In addition, he is a well known DJ featured at events in London, Sydney, Nairobi, Tokyo, and Johannesburg.
I actually set up the interview for my girl Shino and Keiko for Japanese music/producer/engineer Magazine with Devo! I hadnt read it yet to be honest but the photo shooting by Shino was amazing!
It was all crazy beautiful HIPHOP night and again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR Y'ALL LOVE!

⭐️⭐️⭐️Please check on my YouTube Channel also and subscribe to it if you liked. I do highly appreciate you much!⭐️⭐️⭐️ → https://m.youtube.com/user/Dangerica7/?sub_confirmation=1

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the good information. People need to remember the many attempts of hip hop artists, producers and organizers to impact their community in a positive way! The early hip hop dance moves were a way to do battle without actually being violent if I remember correctly! (I'm old enuf to think back that far!)

    It seems that the positive energy people from the 80's and earlier are still doing their thing! Big ups to Heavy D! Rest in Peace!

    God bless Heavy D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Laf.
    Yes, We lost very special MC-Heavy D, 44, died on 8 November, after returning home from shopping. He collapsed outside his apartment in Beverly Hills and was taken to hospital... I was watching a lot of music videos that he did with from Janet Jackson to Michael Jackson to Cab Calloway!
    For the same Friday of ZULU Nation event, Erick Sermon from EPMD got Heart Attack too! He is fine though, What a world!
    R.I.P Heavy D...

    ReplyDelete